As the capstone experience of the Praxis Program, the internship will allow students to put into practice the skills and knowledge learned in the Praxis curriculum. The Praxis internship will be conducted with the mentorship of a sponsoring Praxis faculty member, and usually occurs by the end of the senior year. It is NOT POSSIBLE to fulfill the internship portion of the Praxis Program with an internship that occurred before completing the majority of Praxis requirements.
- The student must secure a Praxis faculty sponsor.
- It is NOT POSSIBLE to fulfill the Praxis Internship requirement with an internship that was not approved and/or occurred before you completed the majority of your Praxis requirements.
- During your internship, monthly progress reports must be given to the faculty sponsor.
- Upon completion of the internship experience, the student will submit a 10 page paper exploring the relevant issues and questions set by the sponsoring faculty. Depending on the topic, nature of the internship, and discretion of the sponsoring faculty, a daily journal may be submitted in lieu of the 10 page paper.
Credit Option (3 units)
- The internship must consist of 180 hours for 3 units
- The internship must be at least 8 weeks in duration to receive the 3 units of credit.
- In order to receive the 3 credit hours for your internship, it must be unpaid. In this case, an unpaid internship grade will be pass/fail.
No Credit Option
- If the internship is paid, it will still fulfill the Praxis internship requirement and you will need to sign up for the No Credit option. The internship will be graded, but will not count for credit hours. University policy states that paid internships may not be counted for credit hours.
- If your internship is less than 180 hrs, you will need to sign up for the No Credit option. Your internship
Please submit your request for approval for your Praxis Internship.
Some past Praxis internships have included:
- Affton Chamber of Commerce – economic development and urban planning
- Kaldi’s Coffee Roasting Company – marketing techniques and project development
- Minnesota 150th Anniversary Project- web design and focus group management
- Boston Urban Scholars Program – teaching, tutoring, program development
- Woodhull Institute for Ethical Leadership – training and professional development
- IMG Sports, Entertainment, and Media – sales, market research, client management
- Fanscape Media Marketing – online public relations and promotion, client services
- Broadreach -course lead instructor, dive instructor, and bookkeeper (Fiji, Solomon Islands)
- Walgreens Corporation – human resources rotational
- Senator Sanders Washington, DC office – exploring interests in public policy